Monday, June 7, 2010

PB KNOCK-OFF, TEXAS STYLE!



This big blank wall was bothering me... I stared at it for a long time before I finally became inspired...



...by this Pottery Barn subway wall art. The price wasn't too bad, and although I like NYC, it wouldn't quite fit into my Texas home.



So, I decided to make my own! I bought a 24X36 blank canvas, painted it black, and used my Cricut to cut out all the letters.


It was just a little TOO stark black & white, so I sanded the entire thing, roughed up all the letters and then put a glaze over it all. I LOVE the way it turned out!




I still needed something else on the walls, so I found these little stars at Big Lots for $5, painted them white and then glazed them as well.












11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful! I want one of those Subway signs with Manitoba towns and names on it. I love it, you did an amazing job on it.
Hugs, Cindy S

Crystal Hogue said...

HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you be interested in making one for me for some $$? I have attempted to make subway art and it never turns out right. Email me littlelackey13@yahoo.com

--Crystal

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I like your knock-off much better (even tho I am from NY!! Great job- well done

Nicole said...

That is SO cool! I know I've said it before, but you really have a gift!

Emily D said...

This is simply gorgeous! I love it! I guess I need a Cricut! I love love love the glaze treatment too!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I usually love the starkness of black and white, but I'm finding myself really liking that glaze treatment as well. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Did you use the letters as a stencil or are those the actual paper letters? If paper, what kind did you use?

Krissa said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!
oh i want to make one with San Francisco info....but i am trying to find the best way and i love this... so ... um... so to better understand... you put the letters on and then did like a stain with paint?? and then sanded that...??? and then used a glaze over it...like modge podge???

THANKS!!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Love, love, love it! And I love the distressing and glazing that you did. It looks amazing!

Thanks so much for linking up to my Subway Art Party!

XOXO
Jen

Staci said...

I looked for an email address for you because I had a question. I am attempting this using a cricut and canvas but I can NOT for the life of me get the letters to stick to the canvas! I tried modge podge but I know that will affect how the paint looks. Is there some trick I am missing?

Feel free to email me at fiabellaphotography@yahoo.com

PS I am DFW girl, too!

Gretchen said...

Your subway art is fabulous. Wish I had a Cricut. Great job on giving that wall a unique piece for your Texas home.
Gretchen
Mimi-Toria's Designs